Everyone's been there. You're staring at a blank document or an empty scratch pad. All your creative juices seem to have vanished for the moment. Just about the worst thing you can do is continue to stare at your document or file trying to force some productivity. Instead, here are 20 creative ways to get unstuck.
- Pick a topic and practice edge craft. (The first credit goes to Seth. Thanks!)
- Write out a pros and cons list.
- Get some fresh air.
- Exercise, even for 10 minutes.
- Get someone to play Pictionary with you.
- Drink a martini – extra dirty. (For some reason, this keeps ending up on our lists of things to do).
- Write down 10 things you are grateful for.
- Visit that museum/gallery/exhibition you’ve been meaning to go to.
- Take a ride on the subway.
- Talk to a toddler.
- Better yet, breathe steam.
- Write a letter to someone you miss.
- Do your nails (undoubtedly, while still wet, you’ll have the sudden urge to write)
- Watch a TED talk, peruse a SlideShare, review some Kickstarters.
- Put on disco and sing really loud. (Busting out a couple moves is also useful).
- Draw a self portrait. With crayons.
- Chocolate. Or wine. Or chocolate with wine.
If you're having a really rough day, you might need to do two or three.
Christine Tieri is president and certified brand strategist at Idea Agency located in Central Massachusetts. Contact us regarding your brand and marketing efforts, or take our brand quiz to determine just how strong your brand is,